First of all: Nice work with phpBB it is truly Open Source and a cool forum with massive amounts of features and a lively community and it is fast!
1. i am having a little problem with spam bots always cracking my custom (!) captcha questions… but well i guess hackers and their bots never stop learning)
2. the update process is (if not done daily) not easy or automatic – it is a pain in the f*** ass.
needless to say you should do a full backup of all files of your forum and your database before this update process! (argh… that could go automatic too!)
- Aaaah! It’s from Germany… that is why…. it is so complicated… Marc Development Team LeaderPosts: 5134 Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:57 pm Location: Munich, Germany
How to update from 3.1.XX to 3.2
If you are running a very old version… you can not go to the latest version straight – you will need to do one upgrade after the other… *seiks*
When logging into the backend you will see something like:
Your phpBB installation is not up to date.
Below is a link to the release announcement, which contains more information as well as instructions on updating. – Re-Check version
“Automatic” update package
it is NOT automatic… it is pretty manual, i assume you have ssh access to your server:
mkdir ../temp; # create a temporary backup directory
mv config.php images/ files/ store/ ext/ ../temp/; # backup / move those files
wget https://www.phpbb.com/files/release/phpBB-3.2.0.zip; # download latest full version (not automatic update version)
rm -rf phpBB-3.2.0.zip;
mv * ../;
tar fcvz stuff.tar.gz *; # back all files of backup in one file
mv stuff.tar.gz ./forum; # move backups
tar fxvz stuff.tar.gz; # unpack backuped files in forum directory
# now point your browser to:
leave things at their default… just hit submit
seems like it works…
rm -rf install*; # remove the install directory and install.tar.gz
PS: I don’t understand why the “prune users” feature seems to be broken…
Updating from phpBB 3.0.x/3.1x to phpBB 3.2.x
Updating from phpBB 3.0.x or 3.1.x to 3.2.x is just the same as updating from stable releases of phpBB 3.2.x
However you can also start with a new set of phpBB 3.2.x files.
- Delete all files EXCEPT for the following:
- Upload the contents of the 3.2.x Full Package into your forum’s directory. Make sure the root level .htaccess file is included in the upload.
- Browse to
- Read the notice Update database only and press Submit
- Delete the
Official Documentation… (this did not work)
This update method is the recommended method for updating. This package detects changed files automatically and merges in changes if needed.
The automatic update package will update the board from a given version to the latest version. A number of automatic update files are available, and you should choose the one that corresponds to the version of the board that you are currently running. For example, if your current version is 3.2.0, you need the
To perform the update, either follow the instructions from the Administration Control Panel->System Tab – this should point out that you are running an outdated version and will guide you through the update – or follow the instructions listed below.
- Go to the downloads page and download the latest update package listed there, matching your current version.
- Upload the uncompressed archive contents to your phpBB installation – only the
folders are required. Upload these folders in their entirety, retaining the file structure.
- After the install folder is present, phpBB will go offline automatically.
- Point your browser to the install directory, for example
- Choose the “Update” Tab and follow the instructions