RSS-Feeds are files.xml, which are auto-generated by CMS like WordPress.
It can be subscribed to with an RSS-Client Software.
Thunderbird (the Mail program) for example (tested on version 60.6.4 and above) has a pretty convenient functionality to stay up to date on the blog posts/news-sites one likes, by adding the RSS feed. (How this works scroll down for the tutorial)
IMHO (in my humble opinion) ALL websites, portals etc. should have an rss feed in a standardized format that users can subscribe to.
IMHO RSS is BETTER than newsletter, because:
- mails are problematic, they can land in SPAM
- the EU GDPR DSGVO privacy right reform has made saving mail addresses of users and sending newsletters more problematic/complicated
- unsubscribing to a rss feed is basically: r-click and remove – that easy.
does a website have an rss feed? how to find out?
one can simply trial and error: append “rss” to the domain name wired.com/rss
and see what happens.
If this happens:
One knows: site has rss feed. (unfortunately sometimes the format is invalid or there are only (1) article? (error in CMS))
but often: IT JUST WORKS 🙂
check the format:
If Thunderbird complains with: “feed-address provides no valid rss feed” you can check the validity of your rss feed format here: https://validator.w3.org/feed/
X-D you have to use https://www.wired.com/feed/rss)
how to subscribe to rss via thunderbird:
- look for rss-link on the site or simply try to add /rss at the end of the page you are currently viewing: http://someinterestingwebsite.com/rss
- example: https://dwaves.org/rss
- open up thunderbird: File/Datei -> New/Neu -> Feed-Account/Konto
- click on “organize subscriptions”
- under feed-address you paste the rss url
- if one sees 1..2..3..4..5..6..7..8..9..10…
- these are the amount of articles / article summaries provided by the RSS feed (again depends on settings in CMS how many articles are published via RSS and the content of the RSS also depends on the CMS generating it)
- ONE JUST SUBSCRIBED TO RSS FEED!
- WHENEVER ONE STARTS THE MAIL PROGRAM, RSS FEEDS WILL BE UPDATED! (like mails)
- now you will immediately be informed about new news and blog posts to this site
PS: the internet is just as good as the content that people are sharing.
so please – get a blog!
share what u know!
so others can learn!
If one needs help with that feel free to contact.
Otherwise: just try the “point and click adventure” of wordpress: https://wordpress.com/ it is “free” (add sponsored and extra functionality costs extra like myblog.com, but never the less, still great and usable via wordpress app)