“if we could not replace a machine’s operating system with a free one, we replaced the machine instead.” (src: https://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html)
LibreBooting the BIOS?
It is possible to overwrite the BIOS of some Lenovo laptops (why only some?) with a minimal version of Linux.
Completely overwriting the first closed source software any computer starts right after power on.
Politics need to step in and demand:
- that vendors release their hardware drivers under GPL 2/3 or as Free Software
- sell proper documentation with the hardware (so developers can develop Open Source drivers for it)
- allow users to overwrite the BIOS
what people / the Open Source community can do:
- document who / hardware producer respect Open Source and Free Software principles
- and who does not: boycott!