Free Software is protecting your data – 2014 TEDx Richard Stallman Free Software Windows and the NSA
, Free Hardware / OpenBios / OpenFirmware / CoreBoot / LibreBoot
, free software
, FSF Free Software Foundation
, LibreOffice (ehemals OpenOffice)
, Privacy / convenience vs surveillance / Orwell
, Privacy Protection / Datenschutz / DSGVO / GDPR
, Software Development
Libre booted (BIOS with Linux overwritten) Thinkpad T400s running Trisquel GNU/Linux OS. (src: https://stallman.org/stallman-computing.html)
LibreBooting the BIOS?
It is possible to overwrite the BIOS of some Lenovo laptops (why only some?) with a minimal version of Linux.
guide for as Free as Possible Laptop (LibreBoot x60s Atheros wifi trisquel)
Completely overwriting the first closed source software any computer starts right after power on.
Politics need to step in and demand:
- that vendors release their hardware drivers under GPL 2/3 or as Free Software
- sell proper documentation with the hardware (so developers can develop Open Source drivers for it)
- allow users to overwrite the BIOS
what people / the Open Source community can do:
- document who / hardware producer respect Open Source and Free Software principles
- and who does not: boycott!