versus is the wrong word.
They are both great great GNU Linux distributions with a different focus and imho the perfect combination.
Debian (apt based)
- “the universal operating system” (because has great hardware compatibility
run’s (almost) anywhere
- a lot of Distributions including Ubuntu an Armbian (adapted Debian version for raspberry pi) are based on Debian and even some Macbooks! (untested!)
- MATE Desktop
- MATE Gnome2 Desktop (above screenshot) is well thought trought lightweight but still very user friendly
- osx like system settings (lovin’ it)
- highly recommend the “Cosmos” changing backgrounds :-p
- Hotkey / Shortcut
- Lock Screen: Ctrl+Alt+L
- Minimize all Programs: Ctrl+Alt+D (and bring them up again)
- imho Debian is a great Client and Workstation distribution
- uses ext4 as default filesystem (yes in theory it supports xfs as well, but not recommended as xfs is )
Fedora / CentOS / Redhat / rpm based
- imho is the perfect server os
- very solid system
- compiling and running latest kernel usually not a problem
- uses xfs as default filesystem ( a bit faster than ext4 )
Debian (client) + CentOS (server)
is imho the perfect combination 🙂
both systems run well as workstation and server
love both! keep up the good stuff!